- 1 pound ground beef (at least 85%)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (low sodium) or low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons fine plain bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion (grated or finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium) or low sodium tamari
- 1 large sweet bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef with the beaten egg, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, the salt and pepper, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, bread crumbs, and minced onion. Shape into 1 1/2 in meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly brown meatballs in the vegetable oil. Drain well. If you prefer, you may also bake the meatballs in a foil-lined rimmed baking pan in a 350 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the browned meatballs to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, cornstarch, sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and bell pepper; stir to blend. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in pineapple with juice. If thicker juices are desired, combine more cornstarch with a little cold water and add, stirring, until thickened.
- Serve these sweet and sour meatballs with hot cooked rice or noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|