This crock pot taco soup a simple combination of ground beef, beans, corn, and tomatoes, and it makes enough for 10 to 12 people. We like to add onion and garlic to our taco soup, but the original recipe does not include them. The Rotel tomatoes add heat but feel free to add some chopped jalapeno peppers or mild chile peppers to jazz it up even more.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Optional: 1 cup onion (chopped)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch-Style beans or chili beans*
- 2 cans whole kernel corn
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) stewed tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel (tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 package Ranch-Style Dressing Mix
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Cheddar, cheddar jack or Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onions, if using. Cook, stirring and breaking up until the onion is tender and the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain the ground beef mixture and transfer to the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the garlic, if using, along with the beans, corn, stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, dressing mix, and the taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and crumbled purchased tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips (see below).
*If you don't have chili beans or Ranch-Style beans, pinto beans and a few seasonings can be substituted. Use 2 cans of pinto beans, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano.
Tips and Variations
- Homemade Tortilla Strips - Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut 8 to 10 corn tortillas into thin strips. Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a deep skillet. Fry the tortilla strips until crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove the tortilla strips to paper towels or brown paper to drain. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and use to garnish servings of tortilla soup.
- Serve chips on the side and garnish with the cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro or green onions.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||22 g|