This crock pot taco soup a simple combination of ground beef, beans, corn, and tomatoes, and it makes enough for 10 to 12 people. We like to add onion and garlic to our taco soup, but the original recipe does not include them. The Rotel tomatoes add heat but feel free to add some chopped jalapeno peppers or mild chile peppers to jazz it up even more.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Optional: 1 cup onion (chopped)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Ranch-Style beans or chili beans
- 2 (15-ounce) cans whole kernel corn (drained)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel (tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 packet Ranch-Style Dressing Mix
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: tortilla strips
- Optional: cilantro leaves
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onions, if using. Cook, stirring and breaking up until the onion is tender and the beef is no longer pink.
Drain the ground beef mixture and transfer to the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the garlic, if using, along with the beans, corn, stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, dressing mix, and the taco seasoning.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Garnish with shredded cheese, along with cilantro leaves and crumbled purchased tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips, if desired.
- If you don't have chili beans or Ranch-Style beans, it's easy to make a substitute. Use 2 cans of pinto beans, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano.
- Homemade Tortilla Strips - Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut 8 to 10 corn tortillas into thin strips. Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a deep skillet. Fry the tortilla strips until crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove the tortilla strips to paper towels or brown paper to drain. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and use to garnish servings of tortilla soup.
- Use spicy pepper jack cheese as a garnish for the soup.
- To replace the Ro-Tel tomatoes, use a 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes and a small can of mild chopped chili peppers or a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno peppers.
- Serve the soup with lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream or guacamole.