Even people who don't like hot cereal will enjoy this easy and delicious recipe for Crockpot Apple Oatmeal, full of fruit and nuts. It's a great way to start a chilly winter morning.
It's important to use regular or steel cut oats in this recipe. If you use quick cooking or instant oats, all you'll get is a bowl of mush. Steel cut oats will have more texture. Steel cut oats are simply oat kernels that are cut into pieces, so they retain a lot of texture and are chewy when cooked. Rolled or regular oats are cut and flattened so they do cook more quickly and have a creamy texture.
You can toast the oats before cooking for even more flavor. Just spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for about 8-10 minutes or until the oats start to turn golden and are fragrant. Don't let them get too brown or burn. Then let the oats cool and make the recipe. This toasting step can be done the day before.
This can be a tricky recipe to cook in a newer, hotter cooking crockpot. Only let it cook for 7 hours, or try to find an older slow cooker. Burned oatmeal is not a smell you want to wake up to in the morning.
Serve this wonderful recipe with some cold heavy cream, honey or maple syrup, and some cold milk or hot chocolate.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup steel cut or regular oats (not quick cooking or instant)
- 1 cup apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup dates (chopped: or raisins, or dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped: or pecans)
- Spray the inside of a 3-4 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine milk, brown sugar, honey, melted butter, salt, and cinnamon in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Stir in the oats, apple, dates or raisins or dried cranberries, and the walnuts or pecans.
- Cover the slow cooker and turn on low setting. Cook 5-7 hours until oatmeal is tender. Stir well before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|