|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This flavorful asparagus soup is easy to prepare and cooks in the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus (woody ends snapped or cut off)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 green onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cups baking potatoes (cubed and peeled, 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
Rinse asparagus spears; cut into 1-inch lengths. If desired, reserve a few small asparagus tips to microwave or steam for a garnish for each serving.
In 3 1/2 to 5-quart crockpot combine asparagus with the broth, green onions, and potatoes. Cover and cook LOW for 5 to 7 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
Increase temperature setting to HIGH. With a blender or food processor, puree the vegetable solids in batches, with a little of the cooking liquid, until somewhat smooth.
Return to the liquid remaining in the slow cooker. Stir in the seasoned salt and pepper, tasting and adjusting amount of seasoning to taste.
Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer. Serve garnished with a few cooked asparagus tips or fresh parsley, if desired.
- A swirl of pureed roasted red pepper with sour cream makes a nice garnish for this soup, also