This flavorful asparagus soup is easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus (woody ends snapped or cut off)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 6 green onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cups baking potatoes (cubed and peeled, 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Rinse asparagus spears; cut into 1-inch lengths. If desired, reserve a few small asparagus tips to microwave or steam for a garnish for each serving.
- In 3 1/2 to 5-quart crockpot combine asparagus with the broth, green onions, and potatoes. Cover and cook LOW for 5 to 7 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Increase temperature setting to HIGH. With a blender or food processor, puree the vegetable solids in batches, with a little of the cooking liquid, until somewhat smooth.
- Return to the liquid remaining in the slow cooker. Stir in the seasoned salt and pepper, tasting and adjusting amount of seasoning to taste.
- Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer. Serve garnished with a few cooked asparagus tips or fresh parsley, if desired.
A swirl of pureed roasted red pepper with sour cream would make a nice garnish for this soup, also. Makes about 4 servings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|