Try this easy and delicious hearty recipe for crockpot bacon chicken and apples that cooks all day in your slow cooker. The combination of textures and flavors is really wonderful. Most recipes for chicken and apples don't use bacon, but it's the bacon that puts this recipe over the top.
All you need to serve with this recipe is a simple green salad drizzled with a creamy ranch salad dressing, and perhaps some garlic bread or breadsticks.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cook the bacon until crisp in a large skillet; remove the bacon to drain on paper towels; crumble and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet.
- Add the butter to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, apple cider vinegar, marjoram, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir into the onion mixture. Place in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Top with the chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add the apples and cook 40 to 50 minutes longer on low until the apples are tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F.
- Mix together the broth and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir into the liquid in crockpot along with the bacon. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with some hot cooked brown rice.
Tip: If you have a new hot crockpot, check the chicken after 4 hours on low. If the sauce doesn't get thick enough, just add more cornstarch mixed with chicken broth or apple juice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|