|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
These beans are excellent for cookouts or tailgating. Bacon and ground beef flavor the beans and make them hearty, along with molasses, brown sugar, and ketchup.
The beans are a snap to fix with a variety of canned beans. Feel free to use your own favorite beans along with the pork and beans. Pinto beans, great northern beans, navy beans, and black beans are good alternatives to the butter beans and kidney beans.
- 6 to 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard, regular or Dijon-style
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans in tomato sauce, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) lima beans or butter beans, drained
Cook bacon in large skillet until lightly browned.
Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.
Discard bacon drippings in skillet; brown the ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink.
Drain off excess fat. In a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker, combine bacon, ground beef, onion, and all remaining ingredients; mix to blend.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.