|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||45%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious cabbage soup is filled with flavor from meaty beef shanks or a few short ribs along with cabbage, carrot, rice, celery, and tomatoes. Use beef broth from a carton or reconstituted bullion if you're short on time, or make it extra special with homemade beef broth. If you use unsalted stock, add some salt to the soup, to taste.
The pictured soup was made with short ribs, and we left the rice out. If you want it fast, check out the Instant Pot directions below.
- 1/2 head of cabbage (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (thinly sliced)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons converted or long grain rice
- 2 ribs celery (sliced into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 or 2 meaty soup bones or beef shanks (about 1 pound)
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) tomatoes (diced)
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Taste before serving; add salt and more pepper if necessary. Serve with homemade buttermilk biscuits or crusty bread.
- Instant Pot Directions: This soup can also be cooked in an Instant Pot or a similar electric pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.