This crock pot beef goulash is a classic combination of beef and paprika, with the addition of tomato paste, sour cream, and some flour for thickening the liquids.
There are many variations on a classic Hungarian goulash, but most are made with the addition of paprika. Tomatoes or tomato paste are relatively modern additions.
For a goulash with vegetables and some other ingredient ideas, see the tips and variations.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat or lean chuck steak (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 small cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup water or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water or beef stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- hot cooked buttered noodles
- Garnish: poppy seeds
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the beef in slow cooker with the chopped onion and garlic. Sprinkle the beef mixture with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of stock or water, tomato paste, and paprika; stir or whisk to blend. Pour over beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
- Combine flour, water, and sour cream; stir into meat mixture. Cook, uncovered, on HIGH for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve with buttered noodles. If desired, toss the noodles with poppy seeds.
Tips and Variations
Add 1/2 cup of diced carrots to the beef mixture.
Add 1/2 cup of sliced celer to the beef mixture.
Add 1/4 cup of diced bell pepper to the beef mixture.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds and 1 bay leaf.
Omit the sour cream, if desired.
You Might Also Like