Crockpot Beef Rouladen is a simple German main dish recipe cooked to perfection in your crockpot. The combination of tender beef with bacon, onion, and dill pickle is sublime and such a wonderful blend of flavors. You can leave the dill pickle spears long so they look like the picture; just cut each spear into four pieces lengthwise.
This classic German recipe should be served with a crisp and cool green salad to balance out the strong flavors, or choose some seasonal fruits and put them together with a simple raspberry dressing.
- 1-1/2 pounds round steak
- 1/4 cup stone ground mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 dill pickle spears (chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- Cut the round steak into six pieces. Place the meat between sheets of plastic wrap and flatten with a rolling pin, beating firmly but not so hard that you tear the meat. Remove the plastic wrap and spread each piece of meat with some mustard and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp over medium heat. Remove the bacon and drain it on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- In the drippings remaining in the skillet sauté the onion and garlic until tender over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove onions, garlic, and bell pepper from the skillet with a slotted spoon. Combine the vegetables with the bacon and pickles in a medium bowl.
- Divide this mixture between the beef pieces and roll up. Tie the bundles with kitchen string. Sprinkle each bundle with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge each roll in 1/4 cup flour; shake off excess.
- Add the butter to the skillet; brown beef rolls, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Place the carrots in bottom of 4-6 quart slow cooker. Top with the beef rolls as they brown. Pour the beef broth over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours until carrots are tender and beef is very tender. Remove the beef rolls from the crockpot; carefully remove kitchen string. Remove carrots from crockpot using a slotted spoon.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream and 1 tablespoon flour; mix well, then stir into liquid remaining in a crockpot. Stir to combine, turn heat to high, and return carrots, then beef rolls to crockpot. Cook for 10-20 minutes longer or until sauce thickens; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the carrots and beef rolls with sour cream sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|