This would make a great beef stew for St. Patrick's Day, though it can be enjoyed any time of the year. But what makes it a good choice for St, Patrick's Day is that it's lower in fat than a corned beef dinner.
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3/4 pound lean stewing beef, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup water/broth
- 3/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Place potato pieces in the bottom of a 4-quart crockpot, followed by other vegetables.
- Add beef on top.
- Sprinkle herbs and add bay leaf.
- Add cornstarch mixture to broth and pour over meat and vegetables, followed by the red wine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
Per Serving: Calories 218, Calories from Fat 39, Total Fat 4.5g (sat 1.3g), Cholesterol 51mg, Sodium 106mg, Carbohydrate 22.5g, Fiber 4.9g, Protein 22.2g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|