This easy beef stew gets fabulous flavor from the beefy onion soup mix and tomatoes. The stew has very little water in it, but as it cooks, the condensation adds more liquid. If your slow cooker has a tendency to cook faster, check and add more water, as needed.
Serve this beef hearty stew with crusty rolls or biscuits for a satisfying family dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef (lean, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 packet Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (or base)
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- 1 stalk celery (sliced)
- 1 can whole tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with about 1/4 cup cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons oil or bacon drippings
- If desired, heat the oil or bacon drippings in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then brown the beef cubes.
- Put the beef (browned or not) in the slow cooker with the onion soup mix, bouillon, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper, as needed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water.
- Turn heat to high and stir until thickened.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|