|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 Pot (4 to 6 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||17%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A bowl of beef stew is comforting and satisfying, and the slow cooker makes it an easy meal to prepare and cook. The preparation for this beef stew takes just minutes. Toss everything in the crock pot and press the start button—that's all there is to it. The stew cooks on its own for about 8 hours, so you'll be free to go to work, take care of errands, or put your feet up and relax.
Slow cooking is also one of the best ways to cook tougher cuts of beef. The long, slow cooking breaks down the connective tissue, making the meat so tender it almost melts in your mouth.
The great flavor comes from an envelope of onion soup mix, along with some Worcestershire sauce, a little brown sugar, and bacon.
There's no need to brown the beef, but browning can improve the texture and flavor of the stew. If time allows, heat a small amount of cooking oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the beef and cook for about 8 minutes, turning the meat frequently to brown the pieces on all sides.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, such as chuck roast, cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 or 2 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled, or 1 tablespoon real bacon bits
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups water (or unsalted beef stock)
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen peas
Gather the ingredients.
Place the beef cubes in a 3 1/2 to the 5-quart slow cooker or crockpot. Add the potatoes and carrots.
In a saucepan, combine the onion soup mix, tomato paste, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, bacon, and water; heat over medium heat until simmering. The peas will be added later.
Remove the mixture from heat and pour over meat and vegetables.
Cover the slow cooker and cook the stew on the low setting for about 8 to 11 hours, or on high for about 4 to 5 hours. Add more water or stock, if necessary.
Add frozen peas about 20 to 30 minutes before the stew is done.
Cover and continue to cook for 20 to 30 minutes longer.
Serve and enjoy!
How to Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate beef stew in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- To freeze, transfer the cooled stew to a freezer bag or container. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- How to Thicken the Beef Stew: Before adding the peas, combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water. Mix until smooth. Gradually stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering juices. Turn the slow cooker to the high setting. Add the peas and continue to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the stew is thickened and the peas are cooked.
- Add about 1 cup of cubed rutabaga or turnip along with the potatoes and carrots.
- Chop one or two ribs of celery and add along with the carrots.
- Omit the peas or replace them with cut frozen green beans or mixed vegetables.
- Add about 1/2 cup of red wine or beer for more complex flavor.