The flavors and texture combinations in this excellent recipe for Crockpot Bow Ties and Beef are really perfect. Your family will love this casserole. It's easy and hearty and has lots of great textures and flavors.
All you need with this recipe is some good chewy bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic, or some savory scones or dinner rolls, heated in the oven. Add a nice crisp green salad or a fruit salad, and dinner is ready. For dessert, offer some brownies or perhaps a pecan pie.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package bow tie pasta (farfalle)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink, stirring to break up the meat; drain. Transfer this mixture to a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until the mixture is bubbly.
- When you are ready to serve, cook and drain the pasta. Turn the crockpot setting to high; stir in the pasta, thoroughly drained and thawed spinach and the cheeses. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the food is heated through and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- You can substitute ground pork or pork sausage for all or part of the ground beef. The sausage will add more flavor; use mild, sweet, or spicy, according to your tastes. Ground chicken or turkey will overcook in this recipe, so I wouldn't advise using that meat.
- Add more vegetables to the dish if you'd like; some mushrooms would be good, sauteed right along with the beef, onions, and garlic. Or add some chopped bell peppers or chopped and peeled zucchini.
- Any type of short pasta will work, from penne to ziti to campanelle, which looks like little flowers. Just cook the pasta until it is al dente and stir into the slow cooker.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|