Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes have never been easier. They are full of rich potatoes, cheddar cheese, and smoky sausage and they're made right in the crockpot! Almost no dishes are involved and it is a super easy clean up! Simply throw the ingredients in the crockpot, set it and forget it! There's no precooking needed and it truly only requires one pot!
These are the perfect potatoes for an afternoon brunch or for a houseful of guests. The recipe can be halved and made for fewer people. If you are setting it for overnight, set it on low for 4-5 hours. Most crockpots have a warming setting that comes on after the cook time is over. This way the potatoes will keep warming for you after the 4-5 hours are over and will prevent them from spoiling. The potatoes will be hot and ready for you in the morning!
You can also make the potatoes on the stove top. Instead of putting all of the ingredients in the crockpot, add them to a pot on the stove, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. This is a great way to make them if you need them faster or didn't plan ahead enough to get the ingredients in the crockpot!
Feel free to omit the peppers or onions or substitute different kinds of sausage for the andouille. Andouille is super flavorful and gives the potatoes a nice smoky flavor. However, you can use chorizo, regular breakfast sausage, or even precooked bacon or ham in this recipe. It can be customized easily depending on what you have in the house!
- 3-4 medium russet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 4 andouille sausages, appx. 10 ounces (diced)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar (shredded)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Dice the potatoes, green bell pepper, onion, and sausages in approximately the same size dice. Make sure to peel the potatoes before dicing.
- In a large crockpot combine the sour cream, cream soup, water, pepper, season salt, and garlic powder. Whisk so that the ingredients are completely combined.
- Add the cheddar cheese and diced vegetables to the pot. Stir gently to combine.
- Set the crockpot for 4-5 hours on low or 2 hours on high. Potatoes can stay warm over night after cooking on low. They can also be cooked on the stove top in one pot for 30-45 minutes on low, while covered.
- After it has finished cooking add more salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|