Low fat sour cream creates the wonderfully creamy sauce for this healthy chicken and vegetable dinner. Of course, you can use full-fat sour cream; the choice is yours!
The slow cooker cooks the chicken and vegetables to perfect tenderness. The potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic are placed on the bottom of the crockpot because they take longer to cook than the chicken.
All you need to serve with this recipe is some pasta, couscous, or rice to soak up the wonderful sauce, and a green or fruit salad for a cool contrast.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 2 pounds new red potatoes (cut in half)
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker. Top with the chicken.
- Put the chicken broth and water into the slow cooker along with the pepper and marjoram. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165°F and the vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and flour with a wire whisk. Slowly stir in about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the crockpot and blend well. Then add this mixture to the crockpot and stir. Cover again and cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes on low. Serve with hot cooked pasta, couscous, or brown rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||66 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|