This ingredient list looks long, but most of the ingredients are spices that are quickly added to the crockpot. More curry powder is added at the end of the cooking time since the slow cooker tends to mute spice flavors.
If you really like curry powder, add more, or think about using curry paste. That product comes in four colors: green, red, and yellow. Green is the hottest, red is the second hottest, and yellow is the mildest. Mix a tiny bit with some yogurt to taste it before you decide which one you want to use; you don't want to taste curry paste on its own!
All you need with this wonderful dish is some steamed asparagus or baby carrots cooked in butter. Some bread would be nice - serve naan or any good chewy bread that has been drizzled with olive oil and toasted. For dessert, something cooling would be perfect - an ice cream dessert or just ice cream drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauces.
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (fresh, grated)
- 2" cinnamon stick
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (3-1/2 to 4 pound) chicken (cut up and skinned)
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green onions (sliced)
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 1/2 cup peanuts (chopped)
- 1/2 cup coconut (chopped)
- Combine the onion, garlic, ginger root, cinnamon, 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder, and red pepper flakes in 3 to 4-quart crockpot. Arrange the chicken on top of the onions and spices in the crockpot. Pour the chicken broth over all.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or until the chicken reaches 165°F as tested with a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and keep it warm in a low oven, well covered.
- Skim the fat from the juices in the crockpot. Combine the cornstarch, 2 teaspoons curry powder, and water in a small bowl and mix well with a wire whisk. Stir this mixture into the juices remaining in the crockpot.
- Increase the crockpot heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Serve the chicken with the sauce and chutney. Sprinkle everything with cilantro and green onions to serve, and serve with peanuts and coconut.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|