This homey and comforting soup is so easy to make and very delicious. The combination of chicken, vegetables, and rice is nutritious and beautiful too. And since it cooks all day in your crockpot, it couldn't be simpler.
Both chicken and vegetable broth are used in this recipe for lots of flavor. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the breasts if you prefer. That will add more flavor to the soup.
Long grain rice is essential to the success of this soup. Don't use instant rice or short grain rice because they won't work. You could use basmati rice, which adds a nice flavor and texture, or use brown rice.
Think about adding more vegetables to this recipe too. Some sliced or chopped bell peppers, green beans, chopped zucchini, or chopped yellow summer squash would be really good. Or stir in some baby peas just before the soup is ready.
The nice thing about soups is that it's easy to experiment and substitute. Just make sure that the slow cooker is only filled 1/2 to 3/4 full for best results. You don't want the soup to burn or overflow the appliance. After all, there's no evaporation in a slow cooker, and these foods give off liquid as they cook.
The rice will help thicken this soup, but if you want it to be more like a stew, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water. About 2 tablespoons cornstarch to 1/3 cup of water is good. Mix well, add to the slow cooker, stir, and cover. Let cook on high for 10-20 minutes or until the soup is thickened.
Serve this hearty and warming soup with a green salad tossed with avocado and grape or cherry tomatoes, some toasted garlic bread, and a glass of white wine. For dessert, some brownies or chocolate cookies would be perfect.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 (14-ounce) cans ready to serve chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce ) can ready to serve vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Spray a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the chicken, chicken broth, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, rice, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper in the prepared crockpot.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F on a meat thermometer, and the vegetables and rice are tender. Stir the soup well and serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|