You can substitute different types of cheese and different flavors of condensed soup to change the flavor of this fabulous, easy slow cooker recipe for crockpot chicken supreme. This is one of my most popular recipes and has been since the beginning.
There's something about the combination of creamy sauce, cheese, and chicken that is completely satisfying. This five ingredient recipe is simple enough for inexperienced cooks to make. The aroma that will greet you as you walk in the door for dinner is tantalizing. Nothing smells better than chicken cooking in the slow cooker.
This recipe is a great way to use chicken breasts that are large and tough. I have found that unless you buy very small chicken breasts, they will be tough when sautéed or baked. The crockpot is the only way to get these breasts tender.
You can start with frozen chicken breasts; I do this often, even though food safety experts warn against it. Just remember, if you are serving anyone in a high risk group, thaw the breasts before hand in the refrigerator. Those in high risk groups include small children, pregnant women, the elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and anyone with a chronic illness.
I often substitute a chopped onion and add some garlic in place of the mushrooms. That's one thing that is so nice about this recipe: it's very tolerant and you can change it as you'd like. I like to serve this recipe with hot cooked pasta or cooked brown or wild rice to soak up all the wonderful sauce. It's the perfect dinner for a cold fall or winter night.
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained OR 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup OR 1 (10-ounce) container four cheeseAlfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup diced Swiss or Havarti cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Crumble the bacon and set it aside, covered, in the refrigerator.
- In the bacon drippings in the skillet, cook the chicken over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until light brown, turning once.
- Place the chicken in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with the mushrooms or onions (or both!).
- In the skillet you used to brown the chicken, heat the soup or Alfredo sauce, scraping up the pan drippings, and pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 5 hours, or until the chicken registers 165 F on a meat thermometer.
- Top the chicken with the diced cheese and sprinkle with the reserved bacon. Cover again and cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Note: I've recently started cooking this dish using frozen chicken breasts. Brown them, as directed, in the bacon drippings, then cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until a food thermometer registers 165 F.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|