Just 4 ingredients make a surprisingly easy and flavorful chicken dish, and it is a snap to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. The finished dish with its creamy sauce is a fabulous main dish to serve with noodles, rice, or potatoes. Add a green vegetable of choice or a side salad and you have a perfect busy-night meal. If you're low carbing it, consider serving the dish with mashed cauliflower in place of the starch, or serve it with two low carbohydrate vegetables.
The easy condensed soup sauce is subtly flavored with Dijon mustard. The recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, but cream of chicken or cream of celery soup would work just as well. Add some fresh parsley or chives for extra color and flavor, if you like.
You might also enjoy this recipe for chicken Dijon made in a skillet.
Watch Now: Slow Cooker Chicken with Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted, may use low fat)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash black pepper (freshly ground)
Lightly butter or oil the inside of the slow cooker crockery insert. Alternatively, you may use a slow cooker cooking bag.
Arrange the chicken breast halves in the slow cooker.
In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir to blend the sauce ingredients thoroughly.
Spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts.
Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. The chicken is done when it reaches 165 F. Boneless chicken thighs are a good choice if you will be cooking the dish longer than 5 or 6 hours.
Serve the chicken and sauce hot with rice, potatoes or noodles and a green vegetable and/or a side salad.
- Chicken breast size can vary widely, from small, 4-ounce portions to as large as 8 to 10 ounces. If a chicken breast is quite large, cut it in half horizontally to make two cutlets. 1 1/2 pounds should be sufficient for an average family of four. If you are serving all adults or adults and teenagers and some are heavy meat-eaters, use 2 pounds of chicken.