|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 39g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||95%|
|Total Carbohydrate 104g||38%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||56%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Crockpot Chili Dogs is a super easy recipe that uses just a few ingredients. Just plop hot dogs, onions and chili in your crockpot and let it cook for hours until the sausages are tender and juicy and the onions and garlic are almost caramelized! Baked beans or canned chili is the easy cheat in this recipe.
You should use purchased fully cooked sausages in this simple recipe. Uncooked sausages have too much fat, and will make the finished recipe too greasy if you use them. If you want to use bratwurst or another type of uncooked sausage, brown them first, very well in a hot skillet and drain them on paper towels before adding to the slow cooker. The sausages should be almost completely cooked, but don't need to be fully cooked.
This recipe can be made as mild or spicy as you'd like. If you like spicy food, use a hot variety of canned chili, add more chili powder, or add some chopped green chiles, jalapeño peppers, or habanero peppers. Crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper will also add some heat. For a milder version, use the baked beans and reduce the chili powder.
Serve topped with shredded cheddar, Colby, or Pepper Jack cheese on toasted hot dog buns, or use hoagie buns if you'd like. Serve with a cold beer, sparkling water, or cold pop, along with a fruit salad and some coleslaw for texture and flavor contrast. Yum.
- 6 hot dogs or Polish sausages, fully cooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) can baked beans OR (14-ounce) can chili
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, if desired
- 2 teaspoons cumin, if desired
- 6 hot dog buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place hot dogs or Polish sausage, onions, and garlic in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Top with baked beans or chili; do not stir. If you're using baked beans, you can add the chili powder and cumin for some heat.
- Cover the crockpot and turn it on to low and cook for 4-6 hours until hot dogs or sausages are hot and tender.
- Spread butter on the split hot dog buns and toast until light golden brown.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a hot dog in the prepared bun, top with some of the chili, and add cheese. Serve immediately.