This easy crock pot chili is made with lean ground beef and beans. The recipe calls for pinto beans, but another kind of bean may be used. Kidney beans, black beans, or white beans would be good as well.
This recipe makes enough chili for about 8 people, and it's easily scaled up or down. Take it along to the game or a party and serve it right from the slow cooker. It freezes well, too. Freeze it in serving-size portions for lunches. Or use leftover chili to make these chili-filled biscuit cups.
Serve this tasty easy chili recipe with hot, freshly baked cornbread or biscuits or crumble cornbread over the top of each serving along with shredded cheese.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef (80% to 85% lean)
- 1 1/2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of kosher salt (to taste)
- Optional: cornbread, cornbread crumble, or crusty bread
- Optional: shredded cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil in a a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Crumble the beef into the skillet and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink. Drain well and transfer the beef and onion mixture to the slow cooker crockery insert.
- To the crock pot, add the beans, tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and kosher salt.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve the chili with crackers, cornbread, or crusty bread or rolls. Or crumble cornbread over the top of the chili and garnish with shredded cheddar, a cheddar jack blend, or pepper jack cheese.
Tips and Variations
- For extra heat, add a few tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno peppers or another type of hot chile pepper. or add some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for heat.
- Replace the pinto beans with black beans, kidney beans, or white beans.
- Add 8 to 16 ounces of sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook with the onions.
- Replace the fresh garlic with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Replace part or all of the ground beef with ground turkey.
- Replace 1/2 pound of the ground beef with ground sausage.
- Add about 1/2 cup of grated carrots to the skillet with the onions and beef. Carrots add a slight sweetness and chili is a great way to get vegetables into picky kids.
- Garnish Ideas: Sliced green onions, oyster crackers, sour cream, guacamole, green onions, salsa, diced fresh tomatoes, and minced red onions.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||25 g|