Apricot preserves and barbecue sauce team up to make a fabulous sauce for these easy meatballs. The meatballs are made with a combination of lean ground beef and pork. Saute the meatballs or bake them.
For a spicier sauce, add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce mixture. The slow cooker makes these tasty sweet-sour appetizer meatballs easy to prepare and serve.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb. mild pork sausage (or use all beef)
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- For the Sauce:
- 1 (12 oz) jar apricot preserves
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine beef, sausage, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, parsley, salt, and garlic salt; blend gently then shape with hands to form small meatballs.
- Brown in a large skillet or bake at 350 F (on rack in baking pan) for 30 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- Place the browned meatballs in crockpot.
- Combine the apricot preserves and barbecue sauce in a saucepan over medium heat; cook until hot and then pour the sauce over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours.
- Serve the meatballs with rice or keep them on low or warm in the slow cooker and serve them as an appetizer.
Makes 4 to 5 dozen meatballs.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|