|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This crockpot dressing is made with equal parts cornbread and toasted bread cubes. Condensed soup makes the cornbread incredibly moist, and the soup adds extra flavor. Use cream of chicken soup or a combination of cream of chicken and cream of celery. For a vegetarian option, use all cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom.
Feel free to use a Jiffy Corn Muffin mix to make the cornbread, or use a basic homemade cornbread. The Jiffy mix will make the dressing a little sweeter than a basic Southern cornbread.
This easy stuffing can be used to stuff vegetables, too! Prepare and cook the stuffing and then use it to stuff bell peppers, tomatoes, summer squash, or baked apples.
- 1 pan cornbread (8-inch pan or skillet; crumbled)
- 8 slices bread (toasted; day-old; about 4 to 5 cups cubed)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
Butter the bottom and sides of the slow cooker or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Crumble the cornbread into a large mixing bowl. Add the bread cubes, onion, celery, poultry seasoning, and pepper; toss to blend ingredients thoroughly.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the condensed soups to the eggs and mix well. Add the soup and egg mixture to the dressing mixture and stir until well blended.
Spoon the dressing mixture into the slow cooker and dot with the butter.
Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Fluff the dressing and spoon it into a serving bowl.
- Make It Ahead: Prepare the cornbread and combine it with the dry ingredients the day before. Cover and refrigerate. Continue with the recipe the next day.
- Use leftover stuffing in turkey hash or heat it and serve it along with hot turkey sandwiches.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecans or chopped walnuts to the bread and cornbread mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup dried raisins or cranberries, or chopped dried apricots.
- Brown 1/2 pound of bulk sausage and add it to the dressing mixture.
- Dice a peeled and cored apple and add it to the dressing mixture.
- Replace the poultry seasoning with a combination of about 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh sage, thyme, and oregano.
- Add about 1 cup of sliced sauteed mushrooms.