This dressing is quick to fix, moist, and easy to cook in the slow cooker. Put raisins or dried cranberries in this easy dressing for a burst of flavor. Cleanup is easy when you spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick baking spray or grease it with butter.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces pork sausage (ground)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped, fresh) or 2 teaspoons parsley flakes (dried)
- 1 package (16 ounces) seasoned cornbread dressing crumbs
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup cranberries or raisins (dried)
Butter inside of slow cooker or spray with nonstick baking spray.
In a large skillet melt butter and add sausage, cooking and breaking up, until sausage is lightly browned. Add onion and celery and continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Add parsley, poultry seasoning, and sage, if using.
In a large bowl, combine the sausage and vegetable mixture with the crumbs. Stir until blended; add chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend well. Blend in the lightly beaten egg and stir in the cranberries or raisins. Spoon into the prepared slow cooker but do not pack. Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours longer.