The slow cooker makes this dressing moist and delicious. This dressing is made with a combination of bread and cornbread.
Replace the dried herbs with a good quality poultry seasoning, if desired.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley sprigs
- 6 cups bread cubes (slightly dry)
- 5 to 6 cups cornbread (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Optional: diced giblets
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
Melt butter in skillet; add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring until the onion is translucent. Add the parsley leaves.
In a large bowl, combine the butter mixture with the bread and cornbread. Add the herbs and seasonings and toss to blend ingredients well.
Pour in enough chicken broth to moisten, then add giblets if using.
Before adding eggs, taste to check seasonings. Add more salt and herbs if necessary.
Add beaten eggs and mix together well.
Pack the mixture lightly into a greased slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH 45 minutes; reduce to LOW and continue to cook for 4 to 8 hours longer.
You may use commercial bread and cornbread stuffing mixture in place of bread cubes, but omit herbs and salt (or add seasonings just to taste) and add about 1 extra cup of chicken broth.