The slow cooker makes this dressing moist and delicious. This dressing is made with a combination of bread and cornbread.
Replace the dried herbs with a good quality poultry seasoning, if desired.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley sprigs
- 6 cups bread cubes (slightly dry)
- 5 to 6 cups cornbread (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Optional: diced giblets
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- Melt butter in skillet; add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring until the onion is translucent. Add the parsley leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter mixture with the bread and cornbread. Add the herbs and seasonings and toss to blend ingredients well.
- Pour in enough chicken broth to moisten, then add giblets if using.
- Before adding eggs, taste to check seasonings. Add more salt and herbs if necessary.
- Add beaten eggs and mix together well.
- Pack the mixture lightly into a greased slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 45 minutes; reduce to LOW and continue to cook for 4 to 8 hours longer.
- You may use commercial bread and cornbread stuffing mixture in place of bread cubes, but omit herbs and salt (or add seasonings just to taste) and add about 1 extra cup of chicken broth.
More Stuffing Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||175 g|
|Saturated Fat||36 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||116 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|