|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 20mg||99%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker creamy potato and ham casserole is the perfect comfort food any time of year. Made with ham, potatoes, onion, cheddar cheese, and condensed soup, it's a rich and delicious dish that is very easy to prepare: Just slice the potatoes and onions, layer with the ham in the slow cooker, mix the soups and milk together and pour over the casserole, and cook for a few hours until hot and bubbling.
You can make the casserole with sharp cheddar, but mild cheddar or cheddar jack cheese will work as well. Serve the casserole with a tossed salad and biscuits or crusty bread.
12 to 16 ounces ham, sliced or diced, divided
8 to 10 medium potatoes (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced, divided
1 medium onion, thinly sliced, divided
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of celery, or cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
Paprika, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
Put half of the ham, potatoes, and onions in the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then add 1 cup of the grated cheese.
Add the remaining ham, potatoes, and onions, and sprinkle lightly with more salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the condensed soup with the milk.
Spoon the soup mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Sprinkle with the paprika.
Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or 3 1/2 to 4 hours on high, or until the potatoes are tender.
Serve hot and enjoy.
The best potatoes to use for this recipe are russet, Yukon Gold, and red potatoes. They all have enough starch that they won't disintegrate and will remain intact during the slow cooking process.
- Some good substitutes for the cheddar cheese are Monterey Jack, shredded American cheese (Velveeta), smoked cheddar, or Colby cheese.
- Add sliced celery, mushrooms, or thinly sliced or diced red and/or green bell pepper along with the onions.
- Toward the end of cooking time, toss in some frozen peas.
- Instead of ham, use diced smoked sausage or browned crumbled sausage, or 6 to 8 ounces of crumbled cooked bacon.
- Replace the salt with seasoned salt or Cajun or Creole seasoning.
- You can use a 1-pound package of diced ham instead of slices, or reduce the amount of ham and serve this as a side dish.
- To make this a vegetarian dish, omit the ham or use vegetarian sausage crumbles or bacon for a smoky flavor.