|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 47g||60%|
|Saturated Fat 26g||130%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This crockpot recipe is made with ham, potatoes, onion, cheddar cheese, and condensed soup. It's a very easy preparation. Just slice the potatoes and onions and layer everything in the slow cooker. Mix the soups and milk together and pour over the casserole.
You can make the casserole with sharp cheddar, but mild cheddar or cheddar jack cheese will work as well. You can also use a 1-pound package of diced ham instead of slices or reduce the amount of ham and serve the potatoes as a side dish.
Serve the potatoes with a tossed salad and biscuits or crusty bread.
- 12 to 16 ounces ham (sliced or diced)
- 8 to 10 medium potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Dash of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (grated and divided)
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- Paprika (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Put half of the ham, potatoes, and onions in the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then add 1 cup of the grated cheese.
Add remaining ham, potatoes, and onions, and sprinkle lightly with more salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the 2 cans of condensed soup with the milk.
Spoon the soup mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Sprinkle with paprika.
Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours or about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on HIGH, or until the potatoes are tender.
- To make a vegetarian dish, omit the ham or use vegetarian sausage crumbles or bacon for a smoky flavor.
- Some good substitutes for the cheddar cheese: Monterey Jack, shredded American cheese (Velveeta), smoked cheddar, or Colby cheese.
- Add sliced celery to the layers along with the onions.
- Add thinly sliced or diced red and/or green bell pepper to the layers with the onions.
- Instead of ham, use diced smoked sausage or browned crumbled sausage.
- Replace the ham with about 6 to 8 ounces of crumbled cooked bacon.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the layers with the sliced onions.
- Replace the salt with seasoned salt or Cajun or Creole seasoning.