This slow cooker hash brown casserole recipe is an easy preparation with frozen (thawed) hash brown potatoes, cheese, sour cream, and other ingredients. And the slow cooker makes cooking nearly hands-free!
You can use Simply Potatoes shredded refrigerated hash browns in the recipe and a combination of sharp cheddar and Velveeta cheese.
See the tips for how to thaw frozen hash brown potatoes quickly.
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the slow cooker
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups cheddar or American cheese, shredded or cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 30 to 40 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed*
Melt the butter in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they are translucent.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked onions with the sour cream, condensed soup, shredded or cubed cheese, salt, and pepper; gently stir in potatoes.
Spoon the potato mixture into the buttered slow cooker or crockpot.
Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours; turn to low and cook for 2 1/2 hours longer.
Serves 8 to 10.
*Refrigerated fresh hash brown potatoes may be used as well. Use 1 1/2 to 2 (20 ounces each) packages of Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper to the skillet and cook along with the onions.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of diced ham to the potato mixture. Replace the condensed cream of mushroom soup with condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup.
- How to Thaw Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes: Put the shredded potatoes in a microwave-safe baking dish in a single layer. Microwave on 100% power for about 30 seconds for each cup of shredded potatoes. Drain or pat dry with paper towels. Or empty the potatoes into a large pan or container and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Pat dry with paper towels.