|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 57g||73%|
|Saturated Fat 33g||165%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a basic macaroni and cheese recipe for the slow cooker. The recipe makes enough for about 8 people, and the crockpot makes it especially convenient if you need the stovetop and oven for other dishes.
Take the finished macaroni and cheese along to a potluck or party, crockpot and all. Plug it in and serve it hot right from the slow cooker.
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened, divided)
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (2% is okay)
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese (or a blend of cheddar and American cheeses, shredded)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Cook the elbow macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions.
Generously grease the interior bottom and sides of the slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.
In a large bowl, toss the hot drained macaroni with the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter.
Add the evaporated milk, the regular milk, and the cheddar cheese and then stir gently to combine.
Turn the macaroni and cheese mixture into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or on HIGH for about 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve and enjoy!
- Cook about 10 to 12 strips of bacon in a skillet or in the oven until crisp. Drain and crumble the bacon into the macaroni and cheese mixture. Stir and transfer to the slow cooker. Continue with the recipe.
- Add one or two 4-ounce cans of diced mild green chile peppers, drained, or a few tablespoons of chopped jalapeño peppers or pimientos, or add some fresh minced chile, to taste.
- Instead of salt and pepper, season the macaroni and cheese with Cajun seasoning or Taco seasoning, to taste.
- Transfer the finished macaroni and cheese to a baking dish and cover with buttered bread crumbs. Place under the broiler until the topping is browned.