|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||37%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy Crockpot Meatball Stew recipe has a very complex flavor. There are a lot of ingredients, but many of them are just cans you open and dump into the slow cooker. The rest are frozen vegetables, and some chopped onions and garlic.
Frozen cooked meatballs are a wonderful convenience food. You can buy them from the supermarket, or make your own, bake them, and freeze them in 1 pound packages. They are added to the slow cooker frozen; they thaw and heat through perfectly as the vegetables cook.
You can add other vegetables to this easy and delicious recipe if you'd like. Add frozen green beans or cubed frozen squash. Yukon Gold or creamer potatoes would be a good substitute for the red potatoes.
While this stew is mild, you can make it spicy if you'd like. Add some minced jalapeño peppers, some chopped canned chili peppers, or add some chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes are another addition to add to the heat level.
You can thicken this stew if you'd like by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/3 cup water. stir it in at the end of the cooking time and cook for 10-15 minutes until the liquid thickens.
Serve this stew with some cornbread, biscuits, or breadsticks, along with a cooling green salad or fruit salad. It can stay in the slow cooker on the "keep warm" setting for two hours, so if your family eats in shifts, this is the perfect choice for a busy weeknight.
- 1 lb. frozen cooked meatballs
- 3 (14 ounce) cans ready to serve beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Gather the ingredients.
- Spray a 4-6 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine frozen meatballs, beef broth, water, frozen baby lima beans, baby carrots, tomato paste, onions, garlic, red potatoes, diced tomatoes, sugar, bars, marjoram, corn, salt, and pepper into the prepared slow cooker.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until stew is blended and bubbling and all of the vegetables are tender.
- Serve topped with sour cream and minced chives.