Oyster stew is a traditional Christmas Eve recipe. This version is easily made in your crockpot, so you can wrap gifts, decorated the Christmas tree, or just sit and relax while it cooks.
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 pints fresh oysters OR 2 (8 oz.) cans whole oysters, drained, reserving liquid
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- In 4 quart crockpot, combine milk, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and thawed potatoes and cook, covered, on high for 1-1/2 hours.
- Toward the end of this cooking time, in large heavy saucepan, melt butter and add oysters with liquid. Simmer on low until edges of oysters curl, about 4-5 minutes. Add salt and Worcestershire sauce to the oysters and stir well. Add oyster mixture to crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|