You'll love the combination of flavors and textures in this simple recipe for crockpot pizza chicken. Even though it cooks in your crockpot, it only cooks for 4 to 5 hours, so you can start it in the afternoon to eat dinner around 6:00 p.m.
You can make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you'd like, or even try using pork chops instead. The cooking time would then be extended to 6 to 8 hours. Always cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 160 F for food safety.
Serve this slightly spicy recipe with some hot cooked pasta or rice to soak up all the wonderful sauce. Kids especially like this recipe because it really does taste like pizza. Offer some cooked carrots, a green salad, and some garlic toast to round out the meal.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups pasta or pizza sauce
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and place in a 4- to 5-quart crockpot.
- Top the chicken with onions, garlic, and bell peppers, and pour the pasta or pizza sauce over all. Top everything with the pepperoni.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked to 160 F.
- Stir everything in the slow cooker well. If you'd like, you can remove the chicken and shred it, then stir it back into the sauce. Then sprinkle the top with the cheese and let stand for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta or rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||76 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|