This pork barbecue is made with a fresh pork shoulder and jazzed-up barbecue sauce. Crushed red pepper flakes add heat, but feel free to adjust the amount to suit your taste. This is an excellent rainy day option for delicious barbecue.
- 1 fresh pork shoulder (5 to 7 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/4 cups vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- Dash of hot sauce
- Put pork in slow cooker. Sprinkle salt and pepper over pork shoulder and add vinegar. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours, or until very tender.
- Remove the pork to a large bowl and remove the meat from bones. Chop or shred the meat.
- Strain the liquid, discard excess fat, and keep approximately 1 1/2 cups. Add remaining ingredients. Mix with the chopped pork and return to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve as a main dish with baked beans and side dishes or serve the pork in sandwiches with extra barbecue sauce and slaw.
- This pork freezes well in zip-close freezer bags or freezer containers. Packed the pork as air tight as possible for the longest storage.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|