A perfect recipe for cold fall or winter night, this hearty pork chili is filled with tasty ingredients. It's a slow cooker recipe that you can prepare in the morning, and it will be ready when it's time for dinner. Just go to work, run errands, or do some fun things with the free time.
This version has everything we love about chili, including tomatoes, chili beans, and chile peppers. Sneak a shredded carrot into the chili for those picky eaters. Not only do the carrots add nutrients; they add natural sweetness, too. If you prefer a mild chili, omit the hot chile pepper or replace it with a milder pepper, such as Anaheim. Or for more heat, add an extra hot pepper to the mixture.
Pork shoulder is the best cut to use in the chili because it stays tender and juicy even after a long cooking time. If you use pork loin, check on it after about 5 to 6 hours to make sure the pork isn't dry. It's a nice twist on the classic chili, and the chunks of meat give it more of an authentic stew-like feel.
Serve this chili with fresh-baked cornbread or crackers. If you like, top each bowl with grated cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese. Or garnish servings with a dollop of sour cream or some sliced green onions or cilantro. No matter how you serve it, your family will be happy to dig in.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or boneless shoulder chops)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper (small)
- 1 jalapeno (or serrano or another kind of hot chile pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork cubes and cook until browned on all sides, stirring and turning frequently.
- While the pork is cooking, peel and chop the onion. Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and jalapeno. Chop the bell pepper and mince the jalapeno.
- Place pork in the slow cooker and add the chopped vegetables and minced garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, and salsa, along with the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until the ingredients are well blended.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper, as needed.
What are Chili Beans?
Chili beans are canned beans in a mild or spicy chili sauce. They're usually made with red beans or pinto beans. Substitute with a can of small red beans, pinto beans, or pinto beans with jalapeno peppers.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|