Like using the slow-cooker or crockpot to prepare a hearty meal? It creates tasty meals and is simple to use. This slow-cooker pork stew recipe is with apple cider as well apple and carrots, potatoes, and onions for a truly home-cooked flavor. The apple cider and apples take this stew to another level. Plus, it combines delicious flavors into a stew with pork -- instead of beef -- for a unique meal. Many people may never have tried a pork stew, making this an ideal must-try pork recipe.
About Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt
This recipe uses a cut of pork known as pork shoulder. This cut of pork is also known as a pork butt or Boston butt. (It isn't from the animal's rear, though -- it is literally the shoulder of the pig.) Pork shoulder is typically roasted and also good for braising. That said, it is also great for slow-roasting or barbecuing. They are typically used to make pulled pork -- especially in the Southern cooking arena. Typically, it is sold as a 5- or 10-pound roast at the grocery store.
- 2 pounds boneless trimmed pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
- Combine the flour, salt, thyme, and pepper. Toss the spices with the meat.
- Put the chopped-up vegetables (carrots, potatoes, and onions) and the apple into the slow-cooker.
- Place the pork cubes on top.
- Combine apple cider and vinegar, and pour it over the meat.
- Place the lid on top of the slow-cooker and set it on the low setting. Keep it on the low setting for 9 to 11 hours.
- After that time, turn the slow-cooker to high. Blend 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup cold water together, stirring them until the mixture is smooth (this will thicken the sauce).
- Stir the flour and water into the hot liquid. Keep the crockpot on high, and cook it for 15 minutes longer, or until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes or winter squash to the stew along with the potatoes.
- Add sliced celery to the stew mixture.