This recipe is a meal in one pot. It's flavorful, savory, aromatic, and delicious. You can change up the vegetables you put into this recipe, of course, but the combination of onion, garlic, baby carrots, and potatoes is perfect with the rich beef. Still, parsnips, turnips, or whole mushrooms would be nice additions to this hearty recipe.
There's no more comforting recipe on earth for a cold and snowy winter night. The aroma that drifts through your house as this recipe cooks is simply intoxicating.
All you need to complete this wonderful meal is a fresh green salad tossed with avocados, grape tomatoes, and sliced mushrooms. For dessert, some brownies or a pecan pie would be perfect.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round (cut into 6 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large russet potatoes (peeled, cut into chunks)
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, marjoram, and thyme on a large plate and coat the beef with this mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the beef pieces in for 2-3 minutes on each side to brown. Set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic in a 4-quart slow cooker. Place the browned meat on the vegetables.
- Pour the beef broth, water, and Worcestershire sauce over meat.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours until beef is tender.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from crockpot and place on heatproof serving platter. Cover the beef and vegetables with foil to keep warm and place in the oven that has been heated to 200°F.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix well with wire whisk. Add to the liquid in the crockpot, turn the heat to high and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes until gravy is thickened.
Serve the gravy with beef and vegetables.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|