|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||47%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy recipe for slow-cooked vegetables is a great side dish for busy weeknights. The veggies need no supervision while cooking, so you can go about your day while dinner is cooking. This mixture of vegetables can double as a vegetarian main but is also the perfect side to beef, roasted chicken, or any fish. Feel free to boost the flavor by adding other seasonings or herbs of your choice like thyme, rosemary, savory, or marjoram.
This is a perfect recipe when trying to clean out the pantry or the refrigerator as you can use almost any root vegetable in this recipe. Potatoes, onion, and carrots are good choices, but if you want to elaborate upon the dish, you can add rutabaga, parsnips, or turnips. Remember to cut all the vegetables into bigger chunks than you'd usually do; bite-sized pieces can cook too fast and disintegrate after many hours in the crock pot.
4 medium russet potatoes
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 pound baby carrots, or regular carrots
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Cube the potatoes, chop the onion, and mince the garlic; combine them with the baby carrots, water, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a 3- to 4-quart crock pot. (If using large carrots, cut them into chunks before adding them into the pot.) Stir well to coat all the veggies with the oil and seasonings.
Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. (If you have a newer, hotter-cooking crock pot, the veggies may be done after 5 or 6 hours.)
Serve and enjoy.
Quick Herby Marinades for Flavor
- Mix 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1 teaspoon each of dry thyme, rosemary, and marjoram—or use 1 1/2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste, pour over the vegetables, and allow to marinate for 10 minutes before placing them in the crock pot.
- Mix 1/2 cup of avocado oil with 3 tablespoons of dill, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste, pour over the vegetables, and allow to marinate for 10 minutes before placing them in the crock pot.
- Mix 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of dry sage. Add salt and pepper to taste, pour over the vegetables, and allow to marinate for 10 minutes before placing them in the crock pot.
Make Your Veggies a Whole Meal
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of cubed beef or chicken breast. Add 2 to 3 cups of beef or chicken stock to keep the mixture moist. Taste for seasoning before serving. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add 2 cans of garbanzo beans and 1 of canned diced tomatoes. This vegetarian stew is great over brown rice. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.