This crock pot sausage stew is made with Italian sausage, potatoes, garlic and onions, tomatoes, and seasonings. Bell peppers and oregano give the stew Italian flavor.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausages (or chorizo)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15-ounces) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium bell peppers (red or green, seeded, chopped)
- Lightly grease or spray slow cooker crockery insert; place potatoes in bottom of the pot.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage links and brown. Slice links into 1-inch pieces and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add garlic and onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine the stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper; stir to blend.
- Pour mixture over the sausages in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Add bell pepper about 1 hour before serving.
- Serve as is, with crusty bread, or with rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|