It's not necessary to sear the pork chops ahead of time, which is partly what makes this dish perfect for a busy weeknight meal. However, if you have time, by all means, sear them in a small amount of olive oil. The secret in the sauce is spicy V-8 vegetable juice or a little cayenne, which gives these pork chops some heat.
If you use regular V-8 juice or tomato juice, add about 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper.
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 to 8 boneless pork chops, about 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper or seasoned pepper
- 2 cups V-8 juice (spicy, or use regular V-8 or tomato juice with 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place celery and chopped onion in crockpot.
- Trim excess fat from pork chops; add to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle pepper strips around and between pork chops. Pour V-8 juice over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer pork chops and vegetables to a platter; keep warm.
- Strain remaining juices into a measuring cup; skim off fat. Measure 2 cups of liquid into a saucepan.
- Stir in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Serve pork chops with the vegetables and hot spicy sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|