This Crockpot Sticky Chicken turns a beautiful gorgeous brown color and is so moist and delicious. Be sure you know how your slow cooker works before you start this recipe. If you have a newer model, the chicken may burn if it cooks more than 6 hours.
Always make sure that chicken is cooked to 165 F as measured with an accurate and reliable food thermometer. Undercooked chicken is a health hazard since it can harbor Salmonella bacteria. But if it's cooked properly it will be safe and delicious.
Serve this easy recipe with a green salad tossed with avocados, sliced mushrooms, and cherry or grape tomatoes, or a fruit salad made with the fruits of the season and a dressing made by combining honey with orange, lime, or lemon juice. For dessert, serve a fruit pie or an ice cream pie or offer some bars or brownies.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger root
- 1 (4 pounds) roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces, with skin removed, or 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or thighs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a 4- to 6-quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray and place the onion, garlic cloves, and orange on the bottom, then top with the chicken pieces.
- Combine the honey, soy sauce, and ginger root in a small bowl and mix well with a fork; pour this mixture over the chicken. Cover the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. The chicken should be fork tender and thoroughly cooked; 170 F into the leg or thigh on an instant-read thermometer or 165 F in the breast. Do not remove the chicken from the slow cooker until it reaches this temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot, put it on a serving platter, and cover it with foil to keep warm.
- Remove and discard the orange. Mix the cornstarch and the chicken stock in a small saucepan using a wire whisk, and add the juices left in the crockpot. Mix well and cook over medium-high heat until the sauce boils and thickens, stirring frequently with the whisk. Add salt and pepper to this gravy to taste and pour over the chicken to glaze it or serve it with the chicken.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|