Serve this elegant, but easy five-ingredient main dish recipe for Crockpot Swedish meatballs at a potluck or buffet supper. It's delicious with hot cooked brown rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. The recipe is very easy to make but tastes complicated and rich. All you have to do is combine the ingredients in your slow cooker and turn it on.
This recipe really is true comfort food. The dish is mild and creamy, with a wonderful mushroom and beef flavor. Make it on a cold winter's day to warm up, inside and out.
- 1 (1-pound) package frozen cooked meatballs
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans golden mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooked hot rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the frozen meatballs, onion, garlic, mushroom soup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart crockpot.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the meatballs are hot and the onion is tender.
Then, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, flour, and pepper, and blend well using a wire whisk.
Add a spoonful of the hot liquid from the crockpot to the sour cream mixture and blend again with the wire whisk until smooth.
Add the sour cream mixture to the mixture in the crockpot, stir well, cover, and cook on low for 30 to 40 minutes until the sauce is thickened and blended.
Serve this wonderful dish over hot cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.
- You can buy frozen precooked meatballs, or make your own.
- The golden mushroom soup is really a necessity for this recipe; it adds a wonderful color and intense flavor to the sauce. You could substitute cream of mushroom soup if you can't find the golden variety.