This delicious recipe for crockpot sweet and sour chicken stew is so easy to make. We love how crunchy the bell peppers remain when they are just heated through at the end of cooking time. If you'd like, add some chopped fresh asparagus instead of the yellow bell pepper in spring.
All you need to serve with this recipe is some hot cheesy garlic bread or some breadsticks or scones. This really is a one dish entree, but you can always serve with a green salad or a fruit salad to complete the meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 (9-ounce) package baby carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce can) ready to serve chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
- 1 (18-ounce) jar sweet and sour sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained, juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup thin egg noodles
- Combine the chicken, carrots, onion, chicken broth, ginger root, and sweet and sour sauce in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F.
- Mix the reserved pineapple juice with the cornstarch until smooth and stir into the chicken mixture in the crockpot, mixing well. Stir in the pineapple tidbits, bell peppers, and egg noodles.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 25 to 35 minutes longer or until the pasta is tender and the vegetables are crisp-tender and heated through.
Tip: If you have a new hot crockpot, cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|