|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Total Carbohydrate 130g||47%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This crock pot sweet and sour pork is a classic combination of pork strips, pineapple, and bell peppers in a sweet and sour sauce. The brown sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar sauce is thickened with cornstarch.
Serve this sweet and sour pork over hot cooked rice or Asian-style noodles. For a super easy dinner, serve them with ramen noodles or microwave "ready" rice. Or serve the sweet and sour pork with cauliflower rice or zucchini or summer squash noodles to keep carbs to a minimum.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks (in juice)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds pork shoulder (trimmed of excess fat, cut into strips)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1/2 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Garnish: bean sprouts or diagonally sliced green onions
Place the pork strips in slow cooker; add green bell pepper and sliced onion.
Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and drain the pineapple juice. Put the pineapple chunks in a bowl; cover and refrigerate them until later.
In a bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, 3/4 cup pineapple juice (add water to make 3/4 cup if necessary), vinegar, water, soy sauce, and salt; blend until smooth and pour over pork and vegetables.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for about 8 hours, or until the pork is tender.
Add pineapple chunks about 45 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Serve the chicken and sauce with hot cooked rice or noodles if desired.
- Add a teaspoon or more of chili garlic paste (sambal) to the sauce mixture for a little heat, or add about 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Make this with strips of chicken thighs or beef strips.