|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is an easy crockpot taco soup made with lean ground beef or ground turkey. Canned beans and the slow cooker make this soup a snap to prepare and cook. Feel free to replace the kidney beans or black beans with pinto beans or great northern beans.
Drain the corn and add 1 cup of low sodium or unsalted beef stock to the dish.
Make a garnish of fried corn tortilla strips — see the tips and variations — or use store-bought tortilla chips or strips to serve with the soup. Shredded cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream are excellent toppings as well.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground round (or turkey)
- 1 medium to large onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can corn (undrained)
- 1 can black beans (undrained)
- 1 can kidney beans (undrained)
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- Garnish: taco strips or chips and shredded cheese
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion; cook for 2 minutes.
Add the ground beef or turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up, until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to the crockpot.
Add the corn, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning; stir well.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
Top servings with tortilla chips or strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, or chopped fresh cilantro or green onions.
Serve the soup with freshly baked cornbread or crusty bread.
- Fried tortilla strips are easy to make. Stack 2 or 3 corn tortillas; cut them in half and then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or saucepan to about 350 F. Fry the tortilla strips in batches until they are crispy and lightly browned. Drain in paper towels.
- Add a few tablespoons of fresh or canned chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Add 1 carrot, sliced thinly or sliced julienne.