This wonderful appetizer recipe for Crockpot Turkey and Stuffing Meatballs uses cornbread stuffing mix with ground turkey and cranberry sauce for a special tidbit that cooks happily away in your slow cooker. This recipe is good any time of the year, but especially just before Thanksgiving, when everyone is anxious for this combination of flavors.
Cornbread stuffing mix is sold in a plastic package. It is made of cubes of dried cornbread, along with some seasonings and dried vegetables. You can't substitute your own cubed or crumbled cornbread for the mix in this recipe or it will be too wet.
You can make this appetizer recipe ahead of time. Make the meatballs and brown them in the oven until they are cooked to 165°F as measured with a food thermometer. Then cool them and freeze in a well labeled plastic freezer container. When you want to serve this, put the meatballs in the fridge the night before so they are thawed. Mix with the remaining ingredients and cook in the crockpot. You may need to add another hour or so of cooking time so everything is piping hot.
Serve these meatballs right out of the crockpot with little forks or toothpicks. You could also decant the whole thing into a fondue pot or a chafing dish for serving at an appetizer party buffet.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornbread stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pound ground turkey (dark and light meat)
- 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (broken up)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine milk and egg and beat to combine. Add stuffing mix, onion, and mustard and mix well.
- Then blend in ground turkey and stir gently to mix.
- Shape the turkey mixture into 48 one-inch balls and place on the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes until browned and completely cooked through to 165°F as measured with a meat thermometer.
- When ready to serve, in a 3-4 quart crockpot, combine cranberry sauce, apple juice, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce and stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add meatballs and stir gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours until mixture is thoroughly heated. If you have a newer hotter cooking crockpot check at 3 hours. Serve with toothpicks or tiny forks.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|