Crunchy Buckeyes take the familiar buckeyes candy recipe and add a fun, easy twist: crisped rice cereal! These easy peanut butter balls are light and crispy, with a satisfying crunch and a thick layer of rich chocolate coating the outside.
- 1.25 cups peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups crisped rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chopped; about 2 cups)
- Place the softened butter and the peanut butter in the bowl of a large mixer and beat until soft and well-combined.
- Add the vanilla and the powdered sugar, and mix until all of the sugar is incorporated.
- Scrape the bottom of the mixer, then add the crisped rice cereal. Either stir it in by hand, or turn the mixer to low and mix until the cereal is just incorporated into the peanut butter.
- Use a candy scoop or small teaspoon to form the candy into small balls and roll them between your hands to make them round.
- Place the balls on a foil-lined baking sheet and refrigerate them to firm up while you prepare the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate or candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating.
- Once the chocolate is melted and completely smooth, dip the crunchy buckeyes into the chocolate. Traditionally, buckeyes are not dipped completely, so that they retain a small circle of undipped candy on top that makes them resemble the buckeye nut for which they are named. If you want to achieve this look, stick a toothpick in the top of the candy, and also use a fork to support the bottom of the candy as you lower it into the chocolate, using the toothpick for added stability and support.
- Place the dipped candies on a foil-lined baking sheet and once they are all dipped, refrigerate them to set the chocolate, for about 15 minutes.
Crunchy buckeyes can be stored for up to two weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For best taste and texture, bring them to room temperature before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|