This delicious cabbage salad is made with green onions and bacon, along with a flavorful mayonnaise and oil dressing. A little celery seed adds extra flavor to this salad. It's a good salad to serve with grilled food, burgers, etc. Or feel free to omit the bacon and use it as a topping for pulled pork or fish tacos.
If you want a little more crunch or a variety of vegetables, some possibilities are shredded carrots, finely chopped cucumbers chopped celery, diced red, green, or orange bell pepper, chopped spinach, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds.
- 8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked, drained, diced
- 4 cups chopped or shredded cabbage (1/2 medium head or a small head)
- 4 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss the bacon, cabbage, green onion, and celery seeds together in a large bowl.
- In a large cup or small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, olive oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, apple cider, and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Add salt and pepper, to taste, along with more sugar and vinegar, if desired. Add the dressing mixture to the cabbage mixture; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
The salad will develop more flavor if it is made and refrigerated for a few hours before serving.
For extra flavor and crunch, feel free to add other vegetables or nuts. Here are some suggestions:
Shredded carrots, finely chopped cucumbers chopped celery, diced red, green, or orange bell pepper, chopped spinach, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|