This crunchy red cabbage salad is tasty, healthy, and easy to prepare. The hummus sticks, dried cranberries and cashews are all optional additions, as the salad is good even without these treats.
- 1 medium red cabbage (outer leaves removed, trimmed and coarsely chopped)
- 5 scallions (trimmed and sliced)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (such as canola or grapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced-sodium is okay)
- Optional: hummus sticks (such as Bissli)
- Optional: dried cranberries
- Optional: cashew nuts
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, toss together the chopped cabbage and scallions.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, oil, and soy sauce.
Pour the dressing over the cabbage and scallion mixture.
Mix well, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just before serving, add the hummus sticks, cranberries, and/or cashews if using. Toss again to coat all of the ingredients in the dressing.
- The recipe calls for chopping the cabbage, but you can also shred it with a food processor or large chef's knife if you prefer a slaw-style salad.
- Note that though you can serve it right away, this salad is best when the cabbage marinates in the dressing for a few hours or overnight first