|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||38%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a hearty dish, perfect for a snow day. It only takes about 45 minutes and is easy to make. There are several variations on it but the one we fell in love with included raisins for a touch of sweetness highlighted with cinnamon. You can serve this on beans if you wish, but our preference is for rice.
- 1/2 small onion (chopped, about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 small green bell pepper (seeded and chopped, about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for sautéing)
- 1 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 (15-oz.) can of tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin (ground)
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch cinnamon (ground)
- Optional: a pinch of ground cloves\
- 12 pitted olives (like Kalamata, split in half)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp. capers
Gather the ingredients.
Heat olive oil over medium heat then sauté onion and green pepper for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
Add ground beef, salt, and pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is browned - about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Stir in olives and raisins and simmer 5 minutes longer. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot over rice.