Here is an easy yet hearty recipe for white bean soup that melds the flavors of navy beans, pork, onions, garlic, and seasonings.
- Drain and rinsed the white beans that have been soaking overnight.
- Place the beans, water, bay leaves, salt pork, and ham hocks in a soup pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the salt pork and discard.
- Remove the ham hocks and shred the meat from the bones.
- Put the shredded meat back into the soup pot.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Sautee the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add to the soup pot.
- Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and white pepper to the pot.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|