|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy cucumber and cream cheese finger sandwich recipe is ideal for kids' tea parties, but it can also be prepared with spices for a more "adult" flavor.
You can enlist your children to help in assembling the sandwiches for a kids' party. Kids can help cut off the bread crusts, spread the cream cheese, and place the cucumber slices. If your child is just learning about triangles, or even an older child digging into geometry, you can discuss the best ways to display these fun triangular sandwiches.
For adults, cucumber tea sandwiches are a very traditional choice for an afternoon tea party. You might also serve egg salad tea sandwiches or salmon and cream cheese tea sandwiches. Be sure to include scones with lemon curd, marmalade, and butter.
"These cucumber cream cheese tea sandwiches were such fun to make, and they were really tasty, too! I used whipped cream cheese so that it spread very easily without tearing the bread." —Diana Andrews
Gather the ingredients.
Lay 2 slices of bread on a work surface and spread each slice evenly with 1 tablespoon cream cheese.
Cover 1 side of the sandwich with sliced cucumber.
Season with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper, and chives, if using.
Cover the cucumbers with the other slice of bread, cream cheese side down.
Cut off the crusts and slice the sandwich diagonally 2 times to create 4 triangular finger sandwiches. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve.
- It's best to serve these sandwiches soon after you prepare them, so the bread doesn't dry out or become soggy from the cucumbers.
- To peel or not to peel? If you bought waxed cucumbers, it is best to peel them before using. But if they are unwaxed, you won't need to peel them. Another variation is to peel them only partially, leaving vertical stripes. This makes them a little more attractive. It is preferable to use organic cucumbers if you are not peeling them, as there can be pesticide residue in the peels.
- Don't toss the trimmed bread crusts. You can use them to make croutons or breadcrumbs.
- While this recipe uses white bread, you can consider using wheat bread or gluten-free bread.
- Try making half of the sandwiches with white bread and half with wheat bread, then alternate them on the serving tray.
How to Store
• Although it's best to serve these sandwiches immediately, if you want to refrigerate them to serve later, drain the cucumber slices for 15 minutes in a colander and pat them dry before using. This will remove the excess liquid. Cover them with plastic wrap to keep the bread soft while refrigerated.